Thursday, August 26, 2010

Roadblocks

I keep reminding myself that the early days will be the hardest.

School is very frustrating for Em -- it's such a new world -- and nothing makes that much sense.

US History remains the worst. I am encouraging her to stick it out -- because it's a required class. She cannot drop this class -- and she just needs to hang in there. I think her instinct is to give up because she spends an hour in there not understanding one single word.

Algebra -- she's done this before -- I think she just needs to work out the terms -- once she figures out what the Mongolian terms are for domain and range I think math will go ok...

German -- she seems to think this isn't that big of a deal. I'm going to force her to practice vocabulary just so she can say the words outloud.

English -- we'll see. She had to write a short essay today. Her teacher encouraged her to write it in Mongolian and translate it into English....which frankly I think is crappy advice -- I think that part of this experience is to start to learn to THINK in English and STOP translating. But hey -- I'm not the teacher -- and she may not be at that stage quite yet.

Chemistry -- so far -- no homework -- this is the teacher she thinks will be MEAN.

Art and Dance -- no information so far about those classes --

I think she's pretty discouraged -- and I'm a little discouraged too. I'm worried that I won't be able to support her the way I need to.

we're going to have these ups and downs -- I know that.

sigh

I know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment