Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 1 - the great adventure begins

Yesterday Miss M feel asleep shortly after lunch

Exhausted.

I decided that the best plan was to let her sleep for 5 hours or so -- make her wake up and eat/go to the bathroom and stay up for a few hours and then go back to bed

I tried to wake her up at about 5pm

I knocked on the door

Nothing

So I went in and said her name

again -- no reaction

I touched her arm

nada

I shook her a big

Not a chance

I left her in there for another hour or so before I tried again

She finally woke up and looked at me with disbelief that I would wake her

I made her a deal -- she needed to eat then she could go back to bed.

She force-fed herself some chicken -- I think because I offered to let her sleep if she ate

I offered a movie after dinner -- she said "no"

we settled on -- stay awake long enough to unpack and then you can go to bed.

She ended up sleeping about 15 hours of her first 24 hours -- seems to have done the trick.

She learned a new word in English -- Jetlag.

Today we have orientation for the students -- it's a pool party and exchange student orientation -- I imagine it's a combination of "don't-break-the-rules-or-you'll-go-back-home" and "don't-let-your-host-parents-touch-you"

We'll see.

We made brownies together and went to Target -- I gave her a gift card to use for her school supplies -- she doesn't understand how credit cards or gift cards work -- another challenge

She has presented me with a number of lovely gifts -- and is wonderful about helping with the dishes.


We had a fun moment this morning when she asked how to make the water come out of the shower head.

I think this blog will be filled with the little moments

There was a part of me that really didn't believe that she would come to live here -- that wondered if it would happen even as I was waiting at the airport.

And it's just wonderful

everyone should do this

at least once

No comments:

Post a Comment