Monday, August 16, 2010

Orientation

We went to the orientation tonight and met about 8 students and their families.

It was fun
interesting
weird
and very very comforting

Things other people have in common with me

At least 1/2 of them are first timers
3 were also single
Most were my age
Several of them live very close

I think I've been thinking about this day as an opportunity for Miss M to build her community -- but I'm an idiot

I didn't think about building my own community!

When we got there I felt for her
She seemed awkward
She struggled to find a way to break into conversation

Which could have been a description of me.

Shit -- am I ever going to stop struggling with my social shyness?

There were some awkward false starts -- but thanks to a silly mixer game -- we all got the chance to talk to each other (clever coordinators!)

We bonded over foul burgers and dogs and insufficient side dishes.

I found myself feeling grateful that I didn't get that German kid that seems already bored with the universe -- but charmed by several of the students and most of the parents.

We'll be seeing a lot of each other -- monthly outings with the kids -- and I think Miss M's made a friend with a girl who lives nearby

Hell -- I might even be able to still have a social life -- there's a chance of some sleepovers

Woot!

I'm home now -- tired -- but upbeat as I look out over the coming months --

Tomorrow -- the school......

No comments:

Post a Comment