Monday, August 16, 2010

New Student Tour

(So there's a part of me that feels some sort of need to apologize for posting over and over in one day -- but then again A) the 3 people who read this don't much care and B) -- this is a very very newsy time -- it'll taper off I'm sure)

Tonight there was a new student tour -- really designed for the Freshman class -- (there are 550 Freshman at this school) but open to anyone who's new this year. There were about 20 Sophmores and Juniors (this school is in it's second year -- so no seniors there yet)

When we got there it was mayhem

Drum team was drumming away and the drill team was cheering with frozen smiles on their faces as we came in

We were greeted by volunteers who directed us to go stand in a line beginning with our last name to get a badge that would identify the student

We stood forever in a line to be told we were in the wrong line and Juniors were at the end (an inside secret -- as this was not marked in any way)

Students went one direction -- parents the other. Miss M looked dismayed -- but with a little push and a "I'll meet you RIGHT HERE at 9" convinced her. I know that deer in the headlights look will go away -- and I'm so glad she got to be here with 500 kids before she meets the 1500 others (gulp!)

I can't tell you much about what her time was like -- she came back dazed -- overwhelmed and shellshocked. I'm not sure she will regain the power of speech tonight

I went with the parents where we had a presentation from one of the vice principals who over explained some things -- but underexplained others -- (If you're student is tardy 4 - 6 times he will get ECO but if it's more than 9 it will be ISS)

WTF?

Can't you just say "detention" and "In school suspension" --

insane

So -- here's what I've learned

Same: Assistant Principals -- bad jokes -- sort of a jerk
Different: Parents are intensely involved in their kids -- or completely negligent -- not quite sure where I'll fall in -- somewhere between I guess

Same: Kids haven't changed -- some are cool -- some are assholes
Different: Dress Codes, Cell phones, coffee bars, restaurants in school, no lockers, each students gets a computer, no books to carry back and forth (just some books to keep at home), grades posted online, no letter grades, security precautions to enter the school, strict attendance policies, way more homework, etc etc etc

I am out of my league

and not in the way I thought I would be.

So far I can do the home stuff -- feed, water, care for the student -- give her love and support

but I feel sort of bad sending her off to their space-station they call a highschool when my reference for all of this seems like a 1967 Chevy.

I guess Miss M's not the only one shell shocked.

3 comments:

  1. That's why I'm glad my office is in an elementary school. The shell-shock is greatly diminished.

    Remain strong, young padawan...

    ("xesses")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful you post these things! I am abnormally interested and feel like I've been stalking you! I am so excited for Miss M's first day of school! She is going to feel like everyone else on their first day at a new school but by the end of the week, she'll have it down! High school these days sounds so cool! I'm sorta young and we still had letter grades and report cards that went home and weren't online! Although we did have Pizza Hut, Chick-Fil-A and Subway at school everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jill -- Thanks! -- I forgot you work in the inner sanctum -- I will learn much from you Obi Wan

    @Sam -- I happy someone's stalking me! -- Sorry I couldn't talk today -- CRAZY work day. I'm excited too -- I hope you won't get bored with our little adventures --

    G

    ReplyDelete