Sunday, February 19, 2012

Which Women?

I was on Facebook the other day

One of my fellow bloggers was lamenting the attacks on women's reproductive rights
and one of her friends said something to the effect of:

"Women will never let this happen -- Breathe easy"

and it went through me like a shot.

Which women?

Which women are going to fight this

some other women??

no

there are no other women

there is you
and me

and that's it

it's us

it's our turn

it's our turn to fight
to stand up

it's our turn to get up our of church pews
and walk out in protest

it's our turn to write letters
to speak out

it's our turn to march
to sit in
to stand firm

it's our turn to be united

I've got news for you

I could easily sit back

my baby factory is shut down
there's no more birth control for me
there's no risk I would need an abortion

why should I care?

I can sit on my sofa and know
that

"women won't let this happen"

women won't stand by and let them pass a law
that allows them to force a procedure on women
that's tantamount to rape

women won't stand by and let them pass laws
that make many of us criminals
just because we use an IUD

women won't stand by and let them
silence us
when we should be able to defend our rights
in a congressional hearing

right??

women will stop it?

won't we?

Which women will do it?

Which women?

No comments:

Post a Comment