Friday, February 3, 2012

It's about Control

No woman can call herself free who does not own and control her body. No woman can call herself free until she can choose consciously whether she will or will not be a mother.
Margaret Sanger

it's interesting  -- this whole battle - isn't it?


for me? -- it's not about abortion
never has been

it's about control
control of my body
control of my sexuality
control of my own speech

I've noticed over the past few years -- that being pro-choice -- is something that's

what's the word I'm looking for

indelicate.

it's become a political statement that's too sensitive to mention

sure -- with your friends

but being pro-choice publicly
let's say

at work

GASP

it's subtly become a taboo subject

which is insane.

my right to choose is legal
what other legal right is a delicate subject about which we must not speak?

you'll hear me say this many times over the next few weeks while we focus on this project

I feel that my rights are being endangered by religion.

no

not true

I feel that my rights are being endangered by religious zealots

how is this different from religious zealots in other parts of the world who murder women for violating their rules

lol

well -- it's a bit different

but it's dipping a toe into it.
and that's how it all begins -- this diminishing of rights
the regulating of them

I have the right to protect my body
to own my body
I have the right to control what goes into it
and what comes out of it
I have the right to talk about my rights

we have it wrong

it's not freedom OF religion that we need
it's freedom FROM religion

Margaret Sanger was right
we are not free
if we do not even control our own bodies.

Join us and blog about Reproductive Rights on 2/15
Margaret would if she could

No comments:

Post a Comment