Monday, February 13, 2012

The price of freedom

as the blog a thon comes to a close -- or at least this wave of it -- culminating in our joint blog efforts on 2/15

don't think I'm going to fall silent

my blog will return from time to time to this topic

but not be exclusively dedicated to it.

Once you find your voice it's hard to say that you will not raise it again

why would we

I am concerned about the Obama compromise and the bill being floated to expand that even farther

that religious based companies might not be required to offer medical care
in cases where it opposes their religious or moral beliefs.

Where does that end?

Let me say first and foremost -- that these employers
for example -- employees of Chick Fil A -- and Hobby Lobby (yeah I had to make a HL dig) and Catholic Hospitals and Colleges
have very clearly made a stand as to their moral beliefs

Obama now says -- that's ok -- it'll be coverage available through the insurance companies

creating another step for employees to go through

by the way -- the HR departments will need to inform associates in how to do this
inform them that this coverage is not available
and how to get it

now -- in a world where all of the employees are religious Catholics -- that's not a problem

but they're not

they're other Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, atheists -- what have you.
who may or may not use birth control (and frankly who are already pre-damned for not being Catholic)

but my concern is

what happens after this

this first step

Will I be denied birth control because my CEO thinks that single women should not have sex?
Will I be denied STD testing because my company things that lascivious behavior leads to STDs
Will I be denied a D & C after a miscarriage because it might disguise an abortion?
Will I be denied treatment or testing for HIV?
Will I be denied my FMLA right to care for a partner's child who is critically ill because my company believes that single sex relationships are a sin?
Will I be discriminated against in employment because I am divorced? or have a baby out of wedlock? or have an abortion?
Will I be denied medical benefits for my children if I marry outside my race?
Will I be able to have my tubes tied?

I never thought it would come to this
I thought we lived in an enlightened age
I thought that the rights that our mothers and grandmothers fought for
were well established

were secure

And yet

here I am
in 2012
fighting to keep the rights
that my Mother had -- decades ago

because some politicians thought it would
result in more votes
by riling up the religious right

I should not have to fight for equality
You should not have to fight for equality

and yet

we must fight
we must speak out
we must encourage others

to be brave
to be outspoken
to be heard

Gay equality
racial equality
sexual equality

when you take away the rights of any of us
you put us all at risk.

so

Thank you Religious Right
Thank you GOP
Thank you Westboro Baptist Church
and Rick Santorum
and

yes

Even Sarah Palin

Thank you for waking me up
and as long as I think I can reach one more person
and encourage them to do the same

the price of freedom
is eternal vigilance (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank you for reminding us of that.
now

watch out.

Blog with us on 2/15 -- TJ would have -- we hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment