Sunday, June 14, 2009

Denver - Day 1 - battery recharge begins

So I'm writing this early on Day 2

Woke up WAY to early yesterday to make up for the non-packing/locked on the balcony time on Friday.

And Yes -- I'm one of these people who actually gets to the airport 2 hours early -- guilty as charged.

While I waited at the airport -- I watched a large family check in at the gate. They were riveting. Mom -- long hair pulled back, flowing hippi skirt and her 5 (clearly) adopted kids -- 2 girls about 7 dressed in matching pink dresses with black polka dots and 3 boys about 6, 4 and 3 -- all 6 wearing straw cowboy hats.

The kids flowed around her like baby ducks -- not insecure at all -- but staying close to momma none-the-less. The older ones helping corral the younger ones. The poppa -- a Southwest crewmember came by help them check in at the gate.

With calm efficiency hey moved around the room to the wonderment of the other passengers -- kids quiet -- but not subdued. A sweet happy perfect family -- those 2 must be parents of the year. Inspirational

Uneventful flight (my favorite kind) -- plenty of haiku writing time.

Jay picked me up -- with only a brief hiccup -- when I realized that I was on the wrong level -- and we headed to the house.

I can't believe that Jay and Jill have lived here 13 years -- it seems like maybe it could be 6 or 7 -- but that they've been together so long -- time flies.

They live in Washington Park -- Wash park is green and lush as ever -- it's still early Spring here. They live in a 2 story house over 100 years old. Downstairs their outer walls are all exposed brick. They've decorated in rusts, yellow ochre, deep purple and deminy blues -- everything feels plush and welcoming. My paintings fit in here -- I feel content that they've gone to a good home.

Warmly greeted by Slate and Hallie -- I live to pretend that I'm their favorite visitor -- but really -- I think they're just sweet dogs who love everyone -- love whores. As I wrote this Slate came downstairs and hopped up on the couch for a snuggle.

So Day 1 was uneventful -- but here's a summary

  • arrived
  • napped
  • watch Kill Bill vol 1 with Jay and discussed how you would differentiate yourself if you were a member of the Crazy 88 -- what's your trademark? I mean -- Gogo's clearly got the crazy-killer market covered -- there's floppy hair guy -- dirty-funny guy -- Nick-name guy -- swinging chain guy -- crying guy and flys up walls guy. It must be hard to find your niche.
  • Walk to a great burger joint (I'll have to get the name for a later blog) - -- long wait to be waited on while waitress after waitress breezed past us -- Jay -- always polite -- went in and innocently asked "Hi -- uh -- where do we place our order" -- Passive-Aggressive-polite -- LOVE IT. Our waitress acknowledged her neglect -- and made a hairshirt joke --- you have to love a city where the waitresses can make a good hairshirt joke -- only in Denver. -- Terrific Sweet Potato fries -- make their own pickles -- I'll get the name of it
  • Visit to the Reserve List -- found the wine I liked last year so I can order some in Dallas --
  • Visit to 7 cups of tea -- pretentious tea house -- large selection of teas
  • Walked home (people in Wash Park actually WALK places -- soooo cool)
  • Veged and made vague plans --
  • Brushed the dogs -- Hallie's shedding in chunks
  • Watched a bad SF channel movie -- Star Runners?
  • Jill and Gina to the grocery store - - joking about how we always leave the reusable bags in the car.
  • Left bags in the car
  • return to car to retrieve bags
  • Jill made an amazing greek salad with hummus and pita chips -- I could eat that every night this week and be blissfully happy
  • Lemon tart for dessert
  • Watched Total Recall -- because we were all too lazy to figure something else to watch
  • Fell asleep on the sofa
I fully expect almost every day to be this dull. right now I'm on the sofa downstairs (Ok -- well not RIGHT now -- but I wrote this in my notebook and I'm translating it to the blog -- go with me on this one) in my PJs listening to birds sing outside. I'm starting to hear movement upstairs -- I imagine Jay and Jill are like "Crap -- she's already up -- you better get up".

BTW -- I love writing this first in pencil. There's a greater intimacy in the experience. As a thought is formed -- it's drawn out of me through the pencil and a light scratching sound from the pencil punctuates that thought.

The scratch pauses as I think of the next phrase -- and the liberation of the eraser comforts me more than the delete key -- and allows me to eradicate my more foolish doodling leaving a shadowy reminder on the page.

So on to Day 2 -- the sun is shining -- it's going to be a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment