Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 2 - Does Denver have Tornado sirens?

Sunday started slow and relaxing.

Jay and Jill live in this idyllic neighborhood -- mature trees, old brick homes with immaculate yards -- people walking their dogs and pushing strollers -- it's a little stepfordy - if Stepford was hip and happening with lots of people on touring bikes. I have to tell you -- I get the appeal.

We walked down to Pearl street for brunch at the Black Pearl -- we had reservations for 10:30 so we wanted to leave a little early to have time to stroll through the Farmer's market (like you do).

Apparently it was dog day at the farmer's market so nearly every booth was a different specialty rescue group -- we met a lovely chihuahua rescue who looked like a tiny golden retriever -- short haired with golden eyes -- I almost had to shove him in my curry-scented carry on (hey Amy -- the curry powder I bought you is on my DR table if you want it before I get home).

Back away from the dogs, Gina -- BACK AWAY from the dogs.

Black Pearl on Pearl Street (used to be my parent's favorite noodle shop -- sorry M & D -- it's gone) was lovely. Jill had brioche french toast -- which she declared the only brunch food worth eating for the rest of her life. -- Jay had a lamb burger and I had the strangest huevos rancheros ever made -- excellent -- if a little salty -- green chili stew and pinto beans that tasted like curry (what a weird choice).

We walked back through puppyville (huh -- I'm typing this from my bad-handwriting pencil -- I read it the first time as "preppyville" -- which works too) and found 2 actual farmers -- Jill bought some Bok Choy and some muzuna (?? -- like a non-bitter mustard green).

In the afternoon Jay went for a bike ride and Jill and I decided to try to spend a Pottery Barn gift card that she had.

I have to say -- I don't get the attraction to P.B. Overpriced, useless items -- in about 4 colors. We searched for over 40 minutes unable to find anything worth spending free money on -- FREE MONEY FOLKS-- Seriously!!

Settled on a set of 6 highball galsses -- yes 6 highball glasses at PB are $50 -- worse -- they were 46.91 - leaving a balance on that ridiculous card.

Jill and I left the Pottery-barn-o'crap -- and eyeing the dark clouds headed home.

Shortly after getting home Jill got a call from Jay requesting a pickup -- ride called on account of rain. About 10 min later, I heard a familiar sound.

Called Jill

"Jill -- do you have Tornado sirens here?"

"Yes......."

"They're sounding"

So the Colorado girl does not like tornados -- snow I GET -- tornados -- ya'll can keep them. Jay and Jill live in the glass house of death. There's exactly one place that might reasonably safe from a tornado -- it fits one -- what has 2 thumbs and is going to be the only one safe from the tornado? This guy!

It really is like I'm being stalked by the tornados. Maybe I should get a restraining order.

Jay and Jill arrived safely -- tornado warning abated -- and we went to dinner at their friend Cynthia's house -- beautiful dinner -- amazing garden -- homemade brownies -

what a nice day

No comments:

Post a Comment