Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sn Miguel de Allende - Las despedidas son tristes -- Day 7 (reprinted from facebook originally March 13, 2009)

I've discovered since I've been here that I wake up every night at about 3:00am --it's the silence -- at 3am -- the bells are not ringing-- the goat is sleeping -- and the rooster is hoarse from crowing all day and night -- it's silent -- ahhh (and BOOM -- I'm awake!).

Did I mention that Mom found a jar of ear plugs in the master bath -- hysterical!!!

Back to sleep until the bacon wakes me up again -- I decided to explore the other side of the alley. Dad and I went a little ways up earlier in the week -- but stopped when the road got steep -- I moved on. (again -- if I can post the pictures I will).

This city is a study in contrasts -- beautiful homes next to run down shacks or abandoned buildings. Extremely high home prices -- but nearly every home I passed today for sale.

I came out the other end of the alley to a lovely neighborhood (but a little lost) and just kept heading downhill. It was early -- I got to walk to school with 1/2 the SMdA children. All the kids here are in uniforms and they're all different based on the school. I'm sure they were excited -- Monday is Benito Juarez day and school will be closed.

I worked my way down to the Jardin and had 2nd breakfast (not elevensies -- but close enough) -- chocolate and a fruit plate. At that hour of the morning the Sn Miguelenos are taking the kids to school -- NOT hanging out in the jardin -- so it's all expats -- totally weird.

I cabbed home and cleaned up (it was cool enough to need a sweatshirt in the morning -- but heated up quickly) and Mom and Dad and I went to Bellas ArtesBellas Artes is an art school like no other -- it's in an old convent and filled with scupture (what would the nuns have thought of all those nudes?) -- We went into one room and saw a mural in process -- the echo in the room was awe-inspiring -- I imagine the nuns praying in that room -- every sound amplified for Mother Superior to hear -- yikes!

A not so lovely lunch (if you go to SMdA -- avoid La Terraza -- it was dreadful -- Mom actually got nachos that had a pile of dried out beans on them with cheese that was clearly toasted kraft american cheese slices)

Back home for a siesta -- packing -- and then back downtown for dinner and El Jardin at night.

Tonight there was a cuban music festival (ironic -- no) -- the music was lovely -- the parrochia is lit up and looks both beautiful and scarey (a little like a demented Cinderella's castle)

Now we're home -- tomorrow we return -- tired, happy -- and refreshed.Things I will not miss about SMdA:

1) You can't flush the toilet paper -- you put it in the basket -- you have no idea how hard it is to remember this
2) You can't rinse the toothbrush in the sink
3) You can't figure out when, why or how long the bells will ring -- it makes you crazy trying to find the pattern
4) That damn hill
5) 37 stairs to the top of the house

Everything else I will miss -- it was great

PS -- I found 3 pair of great SMdA shoes in drag queen size -- I am SET! -- Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment