Wednesday, May 27, 2009

San Miguel de Allende -- If you can carry it home, you can eat it -- Day 2 (reposted from facebook - March 8, 2009)


Day 1 ended ridiculously early -- I think we were all asleep by 8:30 -- when most San Miguelenos are having supper. We were sleepy.

This means that we were all up by about 6:30am -- I awoke to the smell of bacon (I love my Dad) -- and lovely sweetrolls found on the somewhat fruitless trip the day before.

After breakfast Dad and I decided to go exploring. When we were planning the trip the Casa Chepitos people said there was a tiendita across the street from the house -- we failed to find it yesterday and decided to try again. Dad and I first turned up hill -- after about 1/2 a city block we decided -- nope -- across the street doesn't mean here. Then we turned left -- Nope -- pretty garden -- but across the street didn't mean here.

Then we went down the street -- again -- no luck.

So we decided to explore further up the alley -- maybe there's an outlet on the otherside that will have this little store we're searching for......alleyway -- alleyway and more alleyway. There's a stairway that goes down to other parts of the village -- but no tiendita.

At this point Dad's done in -- according to his watch/pedometer/heart meter -- we've gone about a 1/2 mile. and on the way back -- across the alley -- about 15 feet from our front door -- is a tiendita. Mostly sodas and chips -- but food.

After our survey -- Dad determined that there's no way in hell Mom can make the trek down the hill (I concur) -- so we order up a cab and head to El Jardin (The garden).

El Jardin is the center of San Miguel -- and it's wonderful -- full of trees and benches -- and people just spend hours watching the world walk by. We had a wonderful time shopping (Mom got some amazing shoes -- apparently they don't carry drag queen size in Mexico so I'm SOL). When we start to scout for a restaurant for lunch - -- I found my favorite restaurant from 1988 -- Mama Mia!

Back in the day I had a standing date with an archelogist friend of mine to have lunch at Mama Mia....not italian -- but just amazing modern mexican food. It's in a converted house and the tables are all in the middle of the building where the garden would be. The same gigantic trees growing up through the middle. We had an great meal for about $18 for the 3 of us (before the tip) -- we'll be back!

After more exploring M & D were ready to go back -- (still haven't scouted out where I used to live -- maybe tomorrow) After we got home and siesta-ed -- it was time to try again to find a meat market -- seriously -- my first venture yielded mustard, mayo, cans of tuna and some fresh veggies. So I bravely set out -- tote bags in hand

Down the hill from hell
Left one block
Down another hill from hell -- and found a covered market. Flowers as far as the eyes can see (I'll take a photo on another day -- I was on a mission) -- finally found a meat market -- and thought -- hamburger meet -- that's good -- hmm...kilos....Gina's bad at metric. A liter is less than a gallon and a kilometer is less than a mile -- so a kilo must be less than a pound -- "2 kilos please!" -- YIKES -- we'll ber eating burgers forever!! Note to self -- kilos are WAY more than pounds!

On the way back -- tomatos, cilantro so fresh that she pulled it out by the roots, broccoli (stray fact -- the family I lived with in the 80's farmed broccoli -- I grew to hate it back then), limes, serranos, queso -- more fresh bread -- now -- back up the hill -- Damn -- I hate the hill -- the hill is evil.

I feel like I've been sent to some sort of demented fat farm....you can eat whatever you want -- but you have to drag it up the hill -- seriously -- where's my donkey!

Mom made an great meal with the 10,000 lbs of hamburger meat -- we had a nice fresh salsa and there's another mango in my future.

It's a wonderful Sunday -- we can hear music and partying from one of our neighbors -- the goats and chicken are still singing to us -- and we're cooling our feet on the saltillo tiles. (we were startled by the beware of scorpions sign -- but we're over it now -- cold tile feels good on sore feet)

Greeting from San Miguel -- Jack and Loraine say Hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment