Wednesday, May 27, 2009

San Miguel de Allende - Just give it a little tap -- Day 4 (reprinted from facebook from March 10, 2009)




Mom's under the weather -- so Dad decided to stay close to home and encourage liquids and bland food. I trudged down the hill and found jello (I bought every color but green -- Mom has a great loathing for green jello), 7up, bread, crackers -- Today's the day that Balbina the maid is scheduled to come in -- which means that I ran around the house to tidy -- don't want her to think we're slobs.

Balbina arrived at about 10am -- and started to wash the house.....no seriously -- WASH the house. Now I know alot of you think you keep a clean house -- but you're wrong! -- Unless you start at the top and scrub every square inch of the house -- top to bottom (without stopping I might add) -- you're a pig (and may I say -- oink oink)

Balbina was scrubbing down the rooftop balcony -- I put together some lunch -- I made jello for Mom -- and let me tell you -- mexican jello isn't american jello -- first off -- it sets up almost immediately! -- I left it on the counter for about 20 minutes to let it cool before I put it in the refrigerator -- I wanted to add some bananas but didn't want them to cook in the hot hot jello -- and I had to cut slits in the jello to put in the bananas -- weird. Also -- it's MUCH sweeter than american jello (Mom ate some -- so mission accomplished!)

I decided to make bean tacos for lunch for Dad and I -- I taught him how to make homemade refried beans (you would think I made eggs benedict he was so surprised that I could do this) -- and I sent him in to get that jar of red enchilada sauce from the pantry. Poor Jack -- he was really struggling with the lid -- after straining to open it -- he decided to just hit the top of the lid forcefully to see if he could break the seal (like tapping it on the counter only more gentle) -- I heard a popping noise (yeah! seal broken) and then glub glub glub -- Dad broke out the bottom of the jar (poor thing) -- we had to scramble to clean up the mess before Balbina saw it!

After lunch -- I was decided on another adventure -- to a new part of town. I walked down the hill (really -- not so hellish the 6th or 7th time down -- until you turn and look back up) and back down towards the Jardin -- I stopped at the church with the dome on top (there are pictures -- I'll see if I can post them here) and got some lovely photos.

Then I went to the Jardin -- as I may have mentioned -- this is the heart of the town. People just go and sit on the benches under the trees and visit -- or watch the world go by. I even got hit on by a creepy old guy (just like old times -- sigh).

From there I moved on to Juarez Park -- which I don't think existed back in my day and then made the trek back. It was just like any other park in the world -- On the way back I found a great chocolate shop -- you would think they were selling fine jewelry based on the store front and the display. No prices -- yikes -- I ordered 6 small pieces to bring home -- total= 57 pesos -- or about $4.00 -- I'm saving the chocolate until Mom feels a little better.

Back home (BTW, Amy -- I found a Tshirt for Craig -- I think it's too big -- but it's likely to shrink -- I can't wait to bring it home -- it had to be brought -- it's classic) -- a lovely dinner -- freshest avocado and tomatoes you'e ever seen. Mom's feeling much better (hooray!)

It was a nice day -- enjoy your Dallas rain

No comments:

Post a Comment