Wednesday, May 27, 2009

San Miguel de Allende -- you can't go back home again - Day 3 (reprinted from facebook March 9, 2009)











I miss my cell phone. I have it turned off so I don't have to pay international paging -- but I use it as a clock. I thought it was time to get up and came downstairs only to discover it was 3:30am in San Miguel. After several more hours of sleep -- I had the fabulous mango breakfast up on the rooftop balcony with 1/2 a sweetroll. Definately worth the climb.

Dad decided to be brave and walk down to the market (that I finally located) on a quest for a polleria (Chicken seller) -- He was a real trouper working his way down the hill from hell -- but commented that he had never had to turn sideways to stay on a narrowing sidewalk before. Part-way down Dad commented that he was suffering for the illusion that he could walk back up.

I turned him around by the shoulders and pointed up.

We found everything we needed for a Chicken dinner -- and after a cab ride back (Jack's not stupid boys and girls!) Mom made a wonderful chicken and rice dinner followed by chicken soup for supper.

Mom's really struggling with breathing here so they decided on a day in -- after lunch I decided that this was the day to return to the Academia -- where I studied (can you believe) 22 years ago and from there to try to retrace my steps back to the house we lived at. I don't remember the address -- but we walked there everyday twice a day....how hard could it be!

I found the Academia with no problem. It was during lunch so they let me go in and take photos of my old haunt. It looks almost exactly the same -- From there I head down Mesones street and think -- Hidalgo -- that sounds familiar -- I'll turn right -- I'll make it short -- I walked several miles all around San Miguel -- nothing looked familiar, It wasn't Hidalgo -- or Macias Hernadez street -- could it be that the house is gone? maybe -- You can't go home again -- but you can sure try!

I did about 3 miles total -- my legs are definately complaining. At the end of the day we finally got some pictures of the sunset -- gotta love the sunsets you get in a place with just a little bit of low lying smog -- gorgeous! As the sun touched the horizon -- the church bells started to ring -- and continued until the last bit of sun disappeared -- I love San Miguel.

Good Night

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment