Wednesday, May 27, 2009

San Miguel de Allende - The return - Day 1 (reposted from facebook - March 7, 2009)


As many of you know -- this is a return to San Miguel for me -- I went to school her in the 80's to study language.

This is my first trip back.Jay and Jill took Mom and Dad to go whale watching years ago in Pta Vallarta -- and we've longed to take a trip (just the 3 of us) as well. We settled on San Miguel with is in the center of Mexico -- about 1.5 hours outside of Guanajuato and about 4 hours North of Mexico city.

We've had fun planning this for months and are excited that it's finally here.Flying here was -- I hope -- the worst part of the trip -- the plan to Leon was tiny -- and filled to the brim with humanity. After 2 hours on the flying bus -- we arrived in Leon -- found our bags -- made our way through customs and found out driver. I hope someday to be as brave as a driver in Mexico -- but I think it's unlikely. Mom's shoulder is bothering her again so the bumpy, swervy ride was a little much.

We're staying at Casa Chepitos with is on an impossibly steep street. This could be a nightmare w/Mom and Dad -- but fortunately cabs are super cheap. The house is AMAZING!!! -- We were greeted by Balbina the maid who showed us around the house and made us feel right at home -- It has 3 bedrooms -- and an insane number of stairs as it has 2 levels and gardens/balconies on the two levels and the roof. (I'll see if I can add a few of the photos) The place is over decorated -- and yet it works -- it's homey and comfortable.

As soon as we got settled in I decided that I needed to go find a market and pick up something for dinner (we're ALL too tired to go find a restaurant tonight) -- as I worked my way down the (remember) incredibly steep hill (45 degrees at least) I got to see a fabulous cliche -- a man leading a donkey up the hill (Oh -- to have a donkey!) -- where's my camera? Yup -- in my room -- dammit.

I headed down Chepitos street -- and then turned on Aspiro (I think) where I found an tortilleria and picked up hot hot hot tortillas to bring back. Then I turned onto Mesones -- Hey! Mesones??? I went to school on Mesones! -- So I work my way down the street. -- Hmmmm, have I mentioned that I'm going downhill the whole time?? -- gotta love foreshadowing.

I walk and walk and walk -- no school? I do find a market -- and pass a meat market (but foolishly decide not to pick any up) -- As I continue to walk -- things look more and more famliar(cool!) -- then I see the most horrible thing so far.....there's a Starbucks in the town square (doh!). I finally decide that I've gone too far -- WAY to far as I turn around and see the huge hill that leads me back home and I find my way back to Mesones -- I did finally find my school (it was WAY farther up the hill than I remember -- Oh to be 20!)......and miss my turn....and got very very lost.

I was fortunately rescued by a lovely cab driver -- who took me right back up the huge hill. Exhausted.

Dinner was the best mango grown on this planet -- I think Dad had a left over sandwich.... tomorrow we will find the Carneceria again and buy something to actually cook.

Right now -- Mom's enjoying Soduku -- Dad's exploring the kitchen in search of a knife sharp enough to cut a banana -- and we're all listening the the sounds of San Miguel. Kids playing outside, a rooster crowing, bells ringing at churches with no dicernable pattern, goats -- and a man roaming up and down the alleyway calling out something we can't quite make out -- is it Elotes (yummy roasted corn) -- or Helotes (ice cream) -- perhaps tomorrow we'll find out.

We're having a wonderful time -- paradise has 3 balconies and Wifi.

G

No comments:

Post a Comment