Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Wet Lady

In the mid-90's, I was living north of NYC and was looking for a job in the city.

The spouse (before he became the ex) worked in the city and we could commute in together -- 13 minutes to the station and an hour and 45 min on the train -- cake right?

I got a call from a high tech company looking for an office manager -- perfect for me!

Now it's important to know that I'm not from New York -- and I'm not from a city of any kind. I grew up in the mountains in Colorado -- and back in my day you could walk anywhere in town and never locked your door.

I got married and we moved to New York and this was one of my first opportunities to interview in the City. I drove to the station -- found a parking spot and caught the train into the city -- I was perfectly ready for my interview. Clean copies of my resume, plenty of time to find my way, umbrella (30% chance of rain) , new shoes and a great suit -- I settled in with my book until the train arrived.

I had a plan.

Car to the station,
train to Grand Central,
Walk 3 blocks to the subway,
Subway to Columbus Circle
and East about 7 blocks to the interview
(OK -- don't correct me if you're from the city -- it's been 17 years and you'll see my plan was flawed)

It was pouring rain in the city -- Now a smart girl would have sprung for a cab -- but we weren't in the cab-taking class back in the day.

I stepped out of Grand Central, sidestepped the cab stand and opened my umbrella to make the 3 block trek to the subway.

So Colorado girls don't know too much about wind currents and sky-scrapers, but I got a quick lesson that day. Half a block to the station, a stiff rainy wind blew my umbrella inside out (Yeah -- that really can happen!) --- I begin to run, resume folder over my head to the station. Two blocks to go..... one.....half a block -- and I'm in! -- WhewI survey the damage....not to bad.....I'll make it.

I take the train and even find the right train to switch to get to Columbus Circle -- the lady on the phone said it was just a few blocks away when I called to confirm the appointment yesterday. I found a newspaper that I can hold over my head until I can find a deli or a store that's selling an umbrella.

Maybe they'll even have a bathroom where I can clean up

No delis
No stores
No umbrellas
.......just me and a cheap newspaper over my head.

Slowly getting soaked and dripping newsprint in spiral stream down my right arm.

As I hurry across the street, I catch my heel in a teeny little pothole and pow -- I hit the street. I hobble to the curb and huddle under an awning.

The damage?

One broken heel,
shredded hose,
and a little bit of blood dripping from my scraped knee.

I decide to keep on -- fight the good fight.

The building is just ahead.
I can go and explain and maybe they'll reschedule.

I really need this job.

So I arrive at the building -- which is under construction. The first floor is gutted and I'm shocked to hear from the crew that the building is completely empty.

EMPTY?!?!

I spot a pay-phone on the other side of the street and hobble over.

I find the damp card in my bag and call to find out where I've gone wrong.

"sfjlku Software may I help you?"
"Oh - Hi, I'm Gina, I had an interview at 2, but when I arrived at the address they told me that...."

"Uh -- are you the really wet lady on the pay-phone?"

crap
"Come on up -- we're on the 4th floor"
So I hobble up.
Wet hair hanging in strings,
shredded hose,
newsprint streaked arm,
broken heel,
damp resume.

Not only do they interview me.

They take me a on a tour of their office and introduce me to the entire staff

One week later I got a call back for a second interview

(whaaaa?????)

When I came in, I asked him why they called me back in after the disastrous first time. He smiled and said -- "Yeah -- worst interview ever. But you were such a good sport we thought you deserved a second chance."

Best job I ever had.

OK -- No -- didn't get the job, didn't get a thanks-but-no-thanks letter -- but did get an awesome job for another company....but THAT's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment