Monday, August 17, 2009

jacksonville day 1

I'm in Jacksonville

Learning how my job is supposed to be done when I'm not running around like a lunatic.

I'm checked in

and decided that Cracker Barrel was my best bet for dinner (did I mention I'm in Jacksonville??)

I ordered the meatloaf (still trying to find Mom's meatloaf -- -- I'm going to have to just start making them until I figure it out by myself)

where was I

ah

I ordered meatloaf -- and steak fries -- and hash brown casserole (leamme alone -- I wanted comfort food) with the country green beans and cornbread muffins.

Sad, dry meatloaf with a smear of ketchup on the top -- mushy green beans -- hard muffins (if these are just like grandma used to make -- grandma was a crap cook)

I look over at the table to the left and I see a little old lady -- in her 80's with a dowager's hump. She's wearing light brown pants -- like me, and a purple top (i almost wore mine today) and is having the meatloaf...

by herself.

like me.

It made me feel a little sad.

Which is ridiculous -- -I'm not this lady -- I'm not going to be this lady.

I'm just feeling overwhelmed and I'm tired and really really hate eating alone. (which is the lecture I gave myself as I buttered those hard dry muffins)

I had cheered myself up when the waitress came by and said, " Gee! you two should have sat together!!"

I'm going to start sitting up straight right away.

2 comments:

  1. Did you tell the waitress that she could keep her comments to herself? The lady at the post office who was looking into why it had been 3.5 weeks since my mail had been delivered said to me, "Not to be rude, Ma'am, but most people don't change their address 4 weeks in advance." I just replied thanks and hung up the phone. I wanted to say, "Please stop after "not to be rude." and if your people are going to screw up the process, then your website shouldn't allow me to make the change. Why am I so active in my mind and passive in real life? hmmm. Maybe I will start with my own blog. Can you show me how to start one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- I suck

    I only just read your message -- but I see you've started your own blog --

    Keep blogging -- it's tough when you start, but it gets easier

    ReplyDelete