Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This is my dance space -- that's your dance space

Had to work a Dirty Dancing quote into my blog somehow.


I posted something on FB today about a Hindu religious leader who was interrupted while giving a prayer at the beginning of a Senate session....something that I thought even my most religious conservative friends would be offended by.


I was offended that people were rude to an invited guest.....afterall - -he didn't break in and start praying -- they INVITED him....


the comments I received from one of my friends was this


 But if it were the other way around, oh wait that would never happen. Only other religions have that right. With all due respect Christians should be interrupting all other religions prayers until we are allowed to publicly pray like they get to in America! This country wasn't founded on prayers to pagan Gods!


Which I found interesting.


When has anyone been told they cannot pray?


Children are not prohibited from praying at school.  Children are not permitted to pray publicly in school -- even if they are Hindu....or muslim...or whatever.


You may pray to yourself -- anywhere -- anytime.
what is NOT allowed is for them to impose that requirement on others.


Here's my problem with the religious right


and frankly with my friends who are extreme in their religious views when it comes to birth control or abortion or gay marriage -- or religious tolerance.


it's that what they feel is right - -involves pushing their belief system on others.

If you think birth control is wrong -- don't use it.
If you think abortion is wrong -- don't get one
If you think sex education is wrong for your child -- exempt them from it
If you think that gays should not marry -- don't marry a gay person

we liberals are not asking you to do any of these things

we're asking you to leave that which belongs to God in God's hands
we're asking you to allow us to decide what is right and wrong

to use our free will.

afterall

if we are wrong

we are the ones who will lose our eternal souls.

if we're willing to make such a huge bet
who are you to judge us?



No comments:

Post a Comment