Friday, February 3, 2012

Go Forth and be Lobbyists?

And then Jesus said, "Go Forth and become lobbyists..."

no?

that's not what he said?

where's my bible.

oh yes

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men


I am a christian
I am a lost christian -- without a community


because here I am 
smack dab in the buckle of the bible belt
surrounded by churches too extreme for my taste

I am alienated
I often feel alone

Jesus wanted us to follow Him
emulate Him

reach out to others and lift them up

He wanted us to heal the sick
feed the hungry
comfort the grieving

I don't recall a passage where He encouraged us
to march on Rome
and demand changes to legislation

He wanted us to love each other

and 

all of this makes me sad.

I feel like He is lost

Where are Jesus' words?
not Paul
you can keep Paul -- Paul was a man
trapped in his own time
Paul's writings are filled with sexism that's been used
to control women for generations

but Where are Jesus' words?
where's the love?

I think it's time that we started to ask
ourselves

WWJD?

would He pressure foundations to remove funding that supports the poor?
would He bend to political pressure and be moved from his mission?
would He yell hateful messages to wounded girls seeking medical care -- even if he didn't agree with it?

Not my Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment