Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thankgiving meal planning

Ok -- pre planning for Thanksgiving is making me a little crazy.

Being married for a long time meant that we knew each other -- and each other's tastes really really well

So this year -- it's Tgiving with Curt -- just us -- for the first time.

If you know me, you know that I'm not in the least bit intimidated by cooking -- even holiday meals. But making a meal that's tasty, and well received is really important to me. And I think part of this is that my ex was really bad at paying compliments -- and the only praise I received for (I kid you not -- at least the last 5 years we were married) was for food I cooked. So praise for food = love. Crazy? maybe a little bit -- but we all go a little crazy sometimes.

Curt has reallly different taste. How do you make Tgiving without onions? sigh

So here's the plan

Herbed Roast Turkey with Herb gravy

Mashed Potatos -- but I must admit that I watched a video of Julia at the Smithsonian making Garlic Mashed potatos (28 cloves of garlic!!!!) - that I'm tempted to try.

Dressing (never stuffing -- stuffing is just inviting a trip to the ER for you and the WHOOOOOLE family) -- but I have to rethink the rye bread, pecan, apple, sausage stuffing -- I have no idea how to make mom's Cornbread dressing -- I've been watching Food Network for hours looking for ideas

Creamed Spinach (I learned to make this from my late brother-in-law John -- I have to make it every year -- and Yes, I know that I'm the only one who'll eat it. )

Rolls

Cranberries? -so here's the funny thing -- I'm a major food snob -- but I love that jellied Cranberry crap that comes in the can. Somethings just taste like home.

We're going to go to Amy and Tyler's for dessert -- I think I'll take the espresso brownies. It's Amy's first Thanksgiving. First time I did Thanksgiving it was for Conrad, Mom and Dad and my Grandmother (maybe 1998?). We were living in Los Lunas, NM -- I had a huge kitchen -- well the room was huge, but it had an ancient stove.

I blame the stove.

I cooked the Turkey exactly the way Betty Crocker told me to.

Raw

bleeding

disgusting.

I had to cut it up and put it back in the oven. Everything else was ready when I took the raw bird out -- so all the sides were dried out when he bird was finally cooked -- oh -- and pretty flavorless too.

Did I mention that I didn''t have a dishwasher back then?

ugh.

Thank God for meat thermometers.

Have a happy Thanksgiving Day -- and tell the cook it's an awesome meal.....even if it's raw.

No comments:

Post a Comment