Saturday, March 12, 2011

Polite-ectomy

The alarm went off at o'dark-thirty -- giving me about 45 minutes before waking the teens to pack (yeah -- I should have packed earlier), make breakfast and arrange things in the car before the girls got up

I made home fries and toast and basted e)ggs (Thank you Paul for showing me that Man vs Food episode -- I've learned a new trick to make perfect eggs -- they're so pretty they look PLASTIC! -- um -- in a good way

I consulted the trip spreadsheet

oh -- YOU don't use a trip spreadsheet? -

huh -- well -- good luck with that

I consulted the trip spreadsheet which had us leaving at 6 -- allowed for the 10 hour drive plus 2 hours of peeing, eating and photo taking -- putting us in ABQ 12 hours later

We got out at 6:30

and yes -- I did consider cutting back on peeing

but instead -- I adjusted my plan

see I'm flexible!!

and got the kiddos in the car -- complete with pink pillow cases to make sure pillows don't get left behind in hotels.

Armed with my ubiquitous cup of earl grey -- Billy Joel and the Simon and Garfunkel Concert in the Park CD -- I was ready to go -- the teens -- promptly lost consciousness.

and off we went

but not before we decided that we had to fix something

see -- we have a problem -- Miss S (who's joining us for this trip?) -- she's a bit too polite.

I know, I know -- what sort of moron complains about polite teens.

but there's no way we can have a week of "may I have a glass of water"

so -- we have temporarily adopted her into the family for a week

when she asks if she can have something that a family member should help themselves with?

Miss M and I are answering "NO"

Miss S is a quick study --

Normally -- I have some hysterical tale to tell on my vacation -- I mean -- who can forget my dad breaking the bottom out of the salsa jar in Sn Miguel

but so far?

It's just this incredibly giddy, happy time

oh

except apparently? I have to flip coins to get the politeness twins to make decisions like -- who gets what bed.

Stay tuned -- I'm certain that hilarity will ensue.

1 comment: