Sunday, October 31, 2010

I need to vent

So -- the exchange student thing has been a HUGE blessing.

but I have to tell you -- the people who are running the program? Not always very forthright with information -- and willing to do whatever it takes to get what they want.

which seems like a good thing? right?

Not when the corners you cut end up hurting people:

Exhibit A: I was supposed to have Miss M for 5 months.....but I discovered, that she had no idea that this was the case. When family #2 pulled out -- I had to decide if I wanted them to continue to try to find her a new home (which might or might not have been at the same school) or if I wanted to make double the commitment I signed up for.

How do you tell a child that she's going to a new Mom -- and NOT make it feel like it's because you didn't want her?

Exhibit B: Miss J (the BFF) has been living with a single Mom who works nights. I got a message last week from the agency rep saying the 'have to find Miss J a new home -- and do I know someone?'

I asked why

they said "apparently Miss J's been staying home alone 3 or 4 nights a week"

I said, "yeah -- I thought you knew that"

they said, "we thought someone was staying with her or she was staying with you" (bullshit)

I said, "nope -- she stays here one or two nights a month -- tops"

So -- we started the search for a new family -- I love this kid -- she needs to stay here!

so - why do I say "bullshit"?

I asked a few weeks ago if I could go on a business trip and have my parents stay overnight with Miss M....they said, "yes, -- but they would need to be background checked"

so where was the background check on the person who was allegedly staying with Miss J?

So -- Poor Host Mom and Host Sister -- losing their exchange student who they love (they should have been told they couldn't host in the first place)

Poor Miss J -- having to leave her family -- and form a new one (she is staying at the same school)

and shame on the agency reps

We're only 2 months in -- what else is going to come to light?

what a load of crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment