Thursday, March 8, 2012

I'm a liberal - not a libertine

It's an old fashioned word

Libertine

it means to be morally dissolute
to be morally or sexually unrestrained.

and I think the Religious Right Republicans don't quite understand the difference

I can be liberal
and make personal conservative choices

I can be a liberal
and be moral

I can be a liberal
and be fiscally responsible.

being a liberal
doesn't make me morally bankrupt.

the Religious Right want to legislate morality

to make it illegal to sin

which I find interesting.

Does God want me to be obedient to His will because I have to?
or because I want to?

Am I following God's will?
or the will of the state?

Am I a good Christian?
or just a good citizen.

Back in the day
God created a world
where there was no knowledge of Good and Evil

He eliminated it from choice

well to a degree

that darn apple

but once man chose knowledge

then the ability to sin existed

Now -- I don't subscribe to the idea that the earth is 6000 years old
and in that time we all came from one man and one woman
but I do believe in the parable.

Jesus spoke in parables
why not God?

God didn't legislate Good and Evil
he gave us free will to choose what we will.

so here we are 6000 (ahem) years later
trying to legislate morality

trying to

lol

trying to un-eat the apple.

but we cannot.

we live in the world that God intended for us

a world with choices

we can choose
to love our neighbor
or curse him because he is gay

we can choose
to feed the poor
or walk by him and call him lazy

we can choose
to care for the sick
or deny him medicine and medical care

you see

we all make choices
to be godly or not

and being a libertine -- a morally dissolute person
is a choice we were given

just as being a good Christian
one who follows the path of Christ
is a choice

no legislation can un-eat the apple
and it shouldn't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment